Thursday, June 4, 2009

Late Term Abortions

The abortion issue is a complicated one, and the late term abortions, even more so. In the news now we have the murder of Dr. Tiller, who was one of only a few physicians in the country who would perform this procedure. We can differ on the pro-life, pro-choice issue, but I take the position of being both. You might say that thought process is not possible. I'm sure I am not alone in this, as I feel, as with most issues, it is not black and white. The people who view almost everything as black and white could benefit, and better contribute to solutions, if they allowed the color gray into their thought process. The notion that if you are pro-choice you must be pro-abortion is far from the truth for most thinking people.



My first thought in hearing about the procedure Dr. Tiller performed was, is this legal? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090602225613AArXDud It was difficult to find these answers, and this above site sheds at least some light on the subject. In my searching the internet, I could not find a contributory site with any proposed workable solutions. By that, I mean, keeping the government out of a woman's uterus, yet providing better birth control and prenatal care, thus [hopefully] setting the groundwork for women to choose NOT to have an abortion.



I have to say that the late term abortion procedure is considerably more upsetting to me than the ones performed very early in the pregnancy. Neither make me comfortable, but a viable fetus [over 20 weeks] which could possibly survive; being aborted for reasons other than the life of the mother, an already deseased fetus - or some other catastrophic circumstance is disturbing to say the least.



For instance, the procedure Dr. Tiller provided was clearly within the law in the state of Kansas.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/mar/27/doctor-acquitted-abortion-case/

I understand there are many pro-lifers who feel the doctor's murder was justified [I know, go figure..] I'm not sure how much of any of it is justified, but therein lies the discussion. How do we find a solution to keep the right to choose, but use compassion and wisdom for whatever decision is made?



Feel free to send comments/ideas via email to: contact@joyonboard.net



*I am in the process of setting up a website for this purpose, which will allow for ease of operation and communication; for now, please contact through your email to the above email address. All constructive comments appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home